About the Property
27 Earl Street, home to Art Among the Ruins, is the former site of the Newburgh Paper Mill which was built in 1872 by the Thomson brothers and their partner, J.W. Rookledge on the site of Perry's saw mill. The mill used John Thomson's improved chemical method of making paper from wood pulp, which continues in use today. The mill employed 35 men by 1885. Two years later, John Thomson sold his interest in the mill having previously established mills futher up the river in 1881.*
In the late 1880's part of the mill included an iron foundry and agricultural implement factory that was operational after the turn of the century. Later, part of the building became a saw and grist mill, but by the 1930's, the mill lay in ruins.*
Currently, the property is the site of a private residence, whose owners maintain gorgeous gardens among the preserved stone ruins of the mill. A lazy creek winds its way among the woods, and natural pathway to a large pond in the middle of the site. When the mill was operational, it was this waterway that helped propel the machinery and elecricity within the plant, by diverting some of the Napanee River, whose beautiful rushing waterfalls are adjacent to the site, to the mill and beyond. Some machinery from this process remains on the site.
(*Historical information found in "Rogues Hollow, The Story of the Village of Newburgh Ontario Through Its Buildings.")